Please read Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" and respond to the following five questions on binder paper.
Link to the text of "Allegory of the Cave" by Plato
Questions for response:
1. An allegory, or parable, is a concrete story on one level and an explanation of an abstract idea on another. Each part of the story symbolizes something. Explain what each part of the story symbolizes.
2. Although Plato does not say who placed people in chains, who seems to be the jailer when the freed prisoner returns to free the others?
3. Plato equates the journey out of the cave with gaining knowledge. Why would people prefer to remain in the cave with illusions of what is real?
4. Why do you think Plato presents this as a dialogue?
5. In the final paragraph, Plato summarizes the meaning of his allegory. Do you think it is necessary, or would you have been able to put together the metaphor on your own?